Or Shalom of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada will be searching for a new permanent rabbi to lead our creative, egalitarian, traditional and participatory 36 year-old congregation.
Meanwhile, we seek an interim rabbi to support our community through this transitional period. We are looking for an experienced congregational rabbi who understands the implications of a community’s change in leadership and who will help us navigate this transition. The interim rabbi will also fulfill the role of pulpit rabbi and provide the usual pastoral services, including facilitating life cycle events, adult and child education, especially exploring Judaism and b’nei mitzvah, Shabbat services, and coordinating 5775 High Holiday and chag services and related programming.
Please see below for a full job description.
This is a full time position with a competitive salary and an excellent benefit package.
Or Shalom is affiliated with ALEPH: Alliance for Jewish Renewal. Candidates for the interim rabbi position must have rabbinic s’micha recognized by OHALAH: The Association of Rabbis for Jewish Renewal.
While candidates from anywhere in Canada, the US or abroad will be considered, residents of Greater Vancouver are preferred.
Our search for a permanent rabbi will begin in June 2014. The interim rabbi is not eligible to apply for the permanent rabbi opportunity.
About Or Shalom Synagogue
Or Shalom is an egalitarian, LGBTQ positive community. We believe in spiritual growth, learning, creativity and innovation, inclusivity, tradition, gemilut chesed, tikkun olam and tzedakah, synagogue sustainability and connecting to the larger Jewish world. We seek an interim rabbi whose values align with ours.
Situated on Coast Salish territory in the west coast of Canada amidst mountains, beaches and old growth rain forest, Vancouver has a thriving Jewish community with many diverse Jewish organizations and community events.
The term of the interim rabbi is at least ten months from July 2014 until May 2015, with the possibility of extension.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Interim Rabbi Application” in the subject line, or mail to Or Shalom Synagogue, 710 East 10th Avenue, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, V5T 2A7 (Attn: Rabbi Search Committee):
- A cover letter outlining why you are interested in this position and highlighting relevant experience
- A resume or CV,
- A recent writing sample such as a d’var Torah or an article for a community newsletter.
The deadline for applications is March 15, 2014.
For More Information
Thank you for your interest in the interim rabbi opportunity. We look forward to receiving your application.
Rabbi’s Job Description
Or Shalom Synagogue is a Jewish spiritual community affiliated with the ALEPH Alliance for Jewish Renewal. We are creative, egalitarian, traditional and participatory. The Rabbi’s role is to inspire Or Shalom to fulfill this mission.
Under the general supervision of the Or Shalom Board of Directors and implemented as appropriate with committees and staff, the Rabbi works in the following areas:
- Staff: Set goals with staff, coordinate daily operations, play a key role in hiring/firing.
- Governance: Serve as ex-officio member of the Board.
- Leadership: Maintain relationships with Or Shalom committees and consult as appropriate on goals and activities; encourage member engagement; strengthen Or Shalom’s Jewish Renewal identity.
- Ritual: Oversee ritual life of Or Shalom; lead, coordinate, recruit and train volunteers for Shabbat and holiday services.
- Pastoral care: Provide pastoral care, rabbinic counseling, spiritual direction, life cycle rituals for members, as requested.
- Education: Offer adult education at beginning and intermediate levels; oversee all levels of educational programming; coordinate and teach bnei mitzvah; share Torah and spiritual writing with Or Shalom community.
- Programming: Oversee synagogue programming for all ages; initiate programs as appropriate.
- Outreach: Engage in appropriate local community activities; meet with prospective members; facilitate conversion; stay connected with Jewish Renewal movement.
- Professional Development: Through study and teaching, bring new knowledge and skills to Or Shalom.
- Tikkun Olam: Manage Rabbi’s Benevolent Fund; encourage tikkun olam at Or Shalom.